Wednesday, December 3, 2014

O, Holy Night

It's one of the most familiar Christmas songs to us, but where did it come from?

Bethlehem, images | Star of Bethlehem was bright star that showed Magi the way to Baby ...


The version we often hear today is a rendering by John Sullivan Dwight, but the original version was called Cantique de Noël.  It was written by a Frenchman named Placide Cappeau, and the original music, which we still use today, was written by another Frenchman named Adolphe Adam.  Neither of them were truly Christians; in fact, Cappeau was an artist and journalist who wrote the song at the request of a parish priest.  Adam wrote many operas and ballets.  Still, God used them to write one of our greatest Christmas carols about Christ's birth and the redemption and hope it provides to men.

O Holy Night

O holy night!  The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of our dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born;
O night divine, O night, O night Divine.


How's the Christmas season progressing for you?  Don't forget to enter the giveaway for A Christmas Carol.  Speaking of that, I'm going to see a musical version of The Christmas Carol live this Friday.  I can't wait!  Are you doing anything special this week to celebrate Christmas?


Thanks for reading, God bless, and Merry Christmas,

2 comments:

  1. I really love this song. It is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one! I like it.Please check out my site alsoBT change password .I hope you like my site.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love comments! Thrive on them, actually! Please just remember to keep them clean. I don't care if you make them long. The longer, the better, in fact! I really appreciate it when you take the time to tell me what you think.