Thursday, July 12, 2012

Beautiful People - Miss Jessamine Warbling

I have never done a beautiful people post before, so forgive me if it isn't everything that it's supposed to be.
This post is about Miss Jessamine Warbling, the narrator of Christmas at the Tittletons.

What is their full name?
Her full name (let us be grammatically correct) is Jessamine Elizabeth Warbling.

Does his or her name have a special meaning?
 She was given that name because her mother wanted to name her after a rich relative.  It paid off, and when old Miss Jessamine Elizabeth Warbling died, she left Young Jessamine a great fortune.  Never mind that Old Jessamine really didn't have any other relatives to speak of.  Mrs. Warbling is convinced that the name did it.

Does your character have a methodical or disorganized personality?
Miss Warbling is a member of Fashionable Society, and only mentally disorganized people were allowed in that in Victorian times. :)  Miss Warbling is actually a fairly organized person, but she tries to keep up with her friends, so a lot of people look upon her as a mere fun-loving society girl.

Does he or she think inside him/herself more than he/she talks out loud to his/her friends?  (More importantly, does he/she have any friends?)
Miss Warbling is usually a big talker, but she seems to be thinking more in Christmas at the Tittletons.  Of course, such a tragedy as murder would silence most people.  And yes, Miss Warbling has a great deal of friends, some real and some attracted to her money.  Her best friend is Judith Tittleton, but Judith talks even more than Jessamine, so when around her, Jessamine usually keeps quiet.

Is there something he/she is afraid of?
Fortune hunters and shadows at nighttime.  Miss Warbling only recently became afraid of the latter, but you will have to wait to find out why.

Does he/she write, dream, dance, sing, or photograph?
As you might be able to divine from the name, Miss Warbling LOVES to sing.  She also dreams of getting married to someone who does not know that she has a lot of money and therefore could not possibly love her for THAT.  Dream on, Jessamine.

What is his/her favorite book?
Miss Warbling likes novels best, of course, but she also likes sad books that make her cry.  She is presently reading David Copperfield, a brand new book published that very year!  However, I don't think that Miss Warbling is a very big reader.

Who is his/her favorite author and/or someone that inspires him/her?
Jessamine does not happen to think about authors, as she is occupied with far more important details, such as clothing and things like that.  But I would say that her best friend Judith inspires her with the courage it will take to investigate the murder.  Because Judith definitely runs out of courage right in the middle.

Favorite flavor of ice cream?
Peppermint.  I really could not see her liking anything else!


Favorite season of the year?
Winter.  For sure.  That is, after all, the time of year when society is at its peak.  And with her wealth, Jessamine is one of the most sought after society ladies in London!

Now, I must put a quote from Miss Warbling up here.  Miss Warbling says:

I was rather put out at Judith for her recent display of temper, and I said nothing immediately.  Upon reception of this silence, she turned to me with a forlorn look and words of rebuke trembling on her lips.  I held up my hand before she could say them.  “No, Judith, listen to me before you speak.  I know that Mr. Squeed may have been overstepping the bounds of human decency when he spoke to you, but his warning was just, and you should heed it.”  I fear I was guilty of raising my voice when I came to the part about Mr. Squeed, and I saw him glaring in our direction, which gave me the feeling of utmost glee!  He pulled his handkerchief from his pocket and began twisting it up in his fingers as William still had his Watch-Chain.


That is Miss Jessamine Warbling!  I know exactly what she looks like (thanks to Beth Grace, who played her character to perfection at New Year's), but I have no convenient pictures of her right now.
Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Loved reading this, Kathryn!! Thanks for posting! :)

    You can link up to Beautiful People here...
    http://furtherup-and-furtherin.blogspot.com/search/label/Beautiful%20People

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love comments! Thrive on them, actually! Please just remember to keep them clean. I don't care if you make them long. The longer, the better, in fact! I really appreciate it when you take the time to tell me what you think.