Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Period Drama Costumes Tag!

Oooh, goody!  I love answering questions like this.  Thanks, Miss Elizabeth Bennet of Elegance of Fashion, for hosting this.
It took me a while to think of good answers, but I think I finally have figured out my tastes in period drama fashions!

Which costume in all the period dramas you've seen is your favorite? (List up to three)
I like Emma's blue house dress in the 2009 BBC Emma.  It looks so comfortable!
I also like Marguerite Blakeney's traveling dress in 1982 version of The Scarlet Pimpernel.  It is just so elegant and lady like.  The striped skirt is absoballylutely wonderful!

And last but not least I like Mary Smith's checked dress from Cranford.  I have no idea why her step-mother doesn't!
Which period drama costume vexes you the most? (List up to three)
Anne's puffed sleeve dress.  Ugh!  It looks like it's wearing her!

What period drama hat or bonnet do you like the most?
Emma Woodhouse's bonnet in the 2009 Emma.  I love that hat!

What costume would you wear today if you could wear period drama fashions in this day and age?
Lorna Doone's 'waterfall scene' dress from the A&E Lorna Doone.  I like the highland look that the tartan skirt gives the outfit.
Do you notice historical inaccuracies in the period dramas you watch or do you ignore them for the most part?
I think I ignore them.  I just notice if the dress is pretty/ugly or modest/immodest.

Pick a period drama character.  If you were designing their costumes for a new adaption (or new episode), how would you go about designing their costumes?
Elizabeth Bennet.  I would first research gowns and dresses that a middle-class young lady of Regency England would wear, then I would try to match the dresses to her personality.  For instance, a young lady like Elizabeth Bennet would probably dress more modestly than usually depicted.  She likes to read, but she has wit and humor, so I think something with light colors would show her personality.

What's your favorite fashion era?  Why?
I like the 1840s to 1850s a lot.  The skirts have always fascinated me, because they are symmetrically full, if you take my meaning.

What period drama has the best costuming?  The not-so-great costuming?
I have to go with Cranford for the best costuming.  I find myself looking at all the dresses and wishing I had this or that one!
  As to the worst, I am not too crazy about the hair or costumes in Wives and Daughters.  When you find yourself laughing at the female characters lack of fashion sense, then it means that the costuming is BAD!
Your puffed sleeves look funny, Molly!
Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I love comments! Thrive on them, actually! Please just remember to keep them clean. I don't care if you make them long. The longer, the better, in fact! I really appreciate it when you take the time to tell me what you think.