Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Summer Job

Sometimes summer jobs can be epic!

For instance, my job requires me to sit at a desk and answer phone calls and basically do nothing else all day.  Yes!  For eight hours, people, I am answering a slow, very slow, stream of phone calls.  My fellow switchboard workers and I hunch around the phones, waiting for one to ring so we can pounce upon the call like a ravenous wolf.  Basically, we are easily amused.

I have, however, found that this is an excellent time for reading (and blogging, incidentally!).  I can't really leave the desk, in case we get a mythological deluge of phone calls which I have been assured does happen.  So, I bring a couple of books with me to work and read for eight hours.

Does this not strike you as an ideal job?

Right now I'm reading The Old Curiosity Shop.  I've actually heard very little about this book.  After all, BBC has not done a recent period drama based on it. (At least, not that I've heard.)  Thus, I have no idea of how the story is going to turn.  This makes it an exciting read.  It's longer than Tale of Two Cities, my favorite Dickens, but not quite as long as Bleak House or Nicholas Nickleby.

I'm really enjoying it.  First of all, it's different from any other Dickens book that I've read in that the protagonist is a little girl.  That is enough to grab my interest right there.  Plus, we have Mr. Quilp, your quintessential Dickens character.  He's a dwarf, and he's evil.  Very evil.

But then there's Kit, and I love Kit so much.  He's a boy that works for Little Nell's grandfather, and he is amazing!  He's so kind and considerate, and he loves his mother and little brothers so much.  (If Dickens kills him off, I shall be very much put out.)

And let's not forget Mrs. Jiniwin, Quilp's mother-in-law.  She's horrible, but not quite as horrible as Quilp.

Anywho, that's what I'm reading now.  I have a feeling that this book could end up on my list of Dickens books that I like, as opposed to Great Expectations, which is on my list of Dickens books that I really don't like at all.

I'm also editing Alicia sporadically, which means that I'm on the second chapter and it's taking a long time because I'm suddenly having a difficult time with new ideas to add to the story.  I believe the technical term is plot bunnies.

Also I'm beta reading Kiri's book, with great enjoyment, I might add.

Also I'm helping to plan a costume party for July.

Also I'm getting ready to go home for my brother's high school graduation.  SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Thanks for reading, and God bless,

Kathryn

P.S. I was curious so I just looked it up, and apparently there's a 2007 BBC movie of TOCS.  I have not yet seen it, though, and I don't know if it's any good.  However, we shall see!


4 comments:

  1. TOCS is on my next to-read-Dickens list. After Pickwick Papers. I'm so glad you're enjoying it. Although, it's highly impossible *not* to enjoy Dickens. *grins* We watched a TOCS; don't remember which one, but I do remember it had Toby Jones and Martin Freeman in it. It was pretty good, although there were, if I recall correctly, just a few things in it. But it's been a while, so I could be wrong.

    Ooh! You're reading my book! *day made*

    Wait... what? A costume party? Must. Know. More. Who are you going to be? Where is it? DETAILS.

    I WILL BE SEEING YOU THIS WEEK!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My creative writing friend, Kailee, her sister, Mishna, and I are planning the party. The theme is children's books, and the three of us are going as characters from the ultimate children's book, Peter Pan. I am cosplaying Wendy Darling (because I'm the shortest).

      Delete
    2. Epic!!! Sounds like so much fun!! Yessss... Peter Pan is the ultimate. :D Do send us pictures after the party! *cue Lady Catherine's severity* I must have my share in the festivities!!

      Delete
  2. I am so jealous!!! Your summer occupation sounds so leisurely. My job consists of a day's worth of minding 8 wild children (all under age 13), cooking for them, cleaning the house, and taking them to music lessons and doctor's appointments! No time whatsoever for myself. But I love it anyways and I wouldn't part with those little ones (even if they do drive me crazy sometimes) for the world. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love comments! Thrive on them, actually! Please just remember to keep them clean. I don't care if you make them long. The longer, the better, in fact! I really appreciate it when you take the time to tell me what you think.