Thursday, June 14, 2012

Good Friends and Good Books

I don't know about you, but I certainly love to spend time with my good friends.  *APPLAUSE*  Believe it or not, I recently spent some very good time with some very good friends which I don't see nearly enough, including KiriLiz of Lianne Taimenlore and her sisters, Beth Grace and Jessa Bri, both of who have cumbersomely long blog titles which I would rather not type out right now.  Their blog buttons are posted on the sidebar, if anyone is interested.  
So...you say, what does a good friend have to do with a good book?  That is, you say it IF you read the title of this post, and maybe not even then.  Anywho, as Kiri Liz would say, I think that good friends greatly influence what you read.  For example, here is a hypothetical conversation which  is rather akin to real conversations I have had:
Kiri:  You know, I read a really good book lately, called Book Title. (This is not the real name of a book.)
Myself:  Oh, really?  What was it about?
Kiri:  It was about a boy who killed dragons.
Myself: Sounds interesting.  I'll have to read it sometime.  It kind of reminds me of another book I read, called Book Title.  It was about a family that braved the American frontier.
Kiri: Wow, I really want to read it now.  Speaking of which, there was this other book I read...

And so on.  I promise you, we can go on and on and on about books.  And when we're finished, we'll want to read the books that the other told us about.  At least, I will.  I don't know about Kiri.  And about the conversation, we do a lot more explaining than I put there.  
So, friends are important as good book suggesters?  Yes, they are.  Friends influence us so much, that we really have to be careful about who we have as our friends.  I have a really good way to tell if your friend is a really good friend.
Does your friend make you want to read your Bible?  Does your friend talk to you about the Bible?  That is the best kind of friend, who, when the subject turns to books, not only tells you about good books, but leads you toward the Best Book. 

The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.
Psalm 119: 130

1 comment:

  1. Yes, we do not see each other enough, but every time we get together, each visit is better than the last!
    I recall that conversation, though, yes, you neglected to write in the two minute descriptions of the books. ;)
    And yes, I have many books on my reading list (both to read and have read) that you recommended to me! Good friends definitely recommend good books! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love comments! Thrive on them, actually! Please just remember to keep them clean. I don't care if you make them long. The longer, the better, in fact! I really appreciate it when you take the time to tell me what you think.