Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I love doing this sort of thing.  I wrote all of my answers out on separate paper, and I have to admit, I was laughing over some of the possible situations.
Sooo, here are my top twelve literary characters:

1. Gavin Dishart--the main character in my favorite book, The Little Minister
2. Babbie the Gypsy--another character in my favorite book
3. Valancy Stirling--the main character in The Blue Castle
4. Emma Woodhouse--I can definitely identify with her overactive tongue
5. Mr. Knightly--Badly Done, Emma!
6. Sydney Carton--One of the best characters ever invented!!!
7. Mr. Jarndyce--The kindest gentleman that ever walked the pages of a book
8. Aslan--Things never happen the same way twice, Dear One.
9. Mr. Bennet--Excellent!
10. Donal Grant--A godly young Highland shepherd from The Shepherd's Castle
11. Captain Ralph Percy--The hero of To Have and to Hold
12. Hercule Poirot--Use the little grey cells, mon ami.

Now to answer the questions:

1. Who would make a better college professor, 6 or 11?
    Definitely 11.  Captain Percy would certainly be able to teach good character, but I don't think that Sydney Carton would be able to manage a class at all.

2. 12 sends 8 on a mission.  What is it?  Does it succeed?
    Hercule Poirot sending Aslan on a mission?  He would probably tell the lion to get back to the zoo, and I very much doubt that Aslan would obey!

3. What, or what would be, 9's favorite book?
    I think that Mr. Bennet would really like Pickwick Papers.  Too bad that it wasn't written then.

4. Would it make more sense for 2 to swear fealty to 6 or the other way around?
    Sydney Carton should swear fealty to Babbie.  After all, who ever heard of a gypsy swearing fealty to anyone?

5. Number 5 is looking for a roommate.  Should he room with 4 or 12?
    This is just a wild guess, but I think that Mr. Knightly would pick his own wife as a roommate.
   
6. 2, 7, and 12 go to dinner.  Where are they going and what do they discuss.
    Babbie, Mr. Jarndyce, and Poirot.  A horrific combination!  They would, at the Belgian detective's insistence, go to a fancy and terribly expensive cafe.  While Poirot sipped his intolerably sweet cocoa, Mr. Jarndyce would feel the east wind when he looked at the bill and Babbie would dominate the conversation with ridiculous nonsense.

7. 3 challenges 7 to a duel.  Who wins?
    Valancy challenges Donal Grant to a duel (I can't imagine why!).  She would definitely win, though, because Donal Grant is too much of a gentleman to shoot at any woman.

8. If 1 stole 8's most precious possession, how would s/he get it back?
   If Gavin tried to steal something from Aslan (And who knows what his most precious treasure could be?), Aslan would probably roar Gavin into nonexistence and calmly retrieve the stolen item.

9. Suggest a story title in which 7 and 12 both attain what they want.
    Well, Mr. Jarndyce and Hercule Poirot both want to see justice done, so I guess a good story title would be "Justice"  :D


10.  What kind of plot device would you have to use to get 1 and 4 to work together.
      Gavin and Emma?  I guess they could work together.  Emma loves to matchmake, so she could probably help Gavin win his beloved Babbie's heart.

11. If 7 visited you for the weekend, how would it go?
     I think it would go well.  Mr. Jarndyce is such a gentlemanly and kind person, it would be a pleasure to entertain him for a few days.

12. If you could command 3 to perform one service for you, what would it be?
     Valancy would have to give me entrance to her wonderful Blue Castle, of course.

13. If 2 had to pick sides between 4 or 5, which side would s/he choose?
     I think 2 would pick 5.  Both Babbie and Mr. Knightly are usually right, and Emma, well, poor Emma isn't the best judge of things!

14. What might 10 shout while charging into battle?
     Donal Grant, being a Highlander, would shout some ancient Gaelic battle cry.

15. If you had to choose a song to best describe 8, what would it be?
     What song would YOU use to describe Aslan?  I'm thinking the Narnia battle song would do justice to his majesty and fierceness as well as his gentleness.

16. 1, 6, and 12 are having dim sum in a Chinese Restaurant.  There is only one scallion pancake left and they all reach for it.  Who gets it?
     Gavin would kindly sit back while Sydney carton continued to reach for the pancake.  Poirot would  reach in under Sydney's hand and take the coveted item, then smile benignly at Carton while he ate it before the astonished man's face.

17. What would 5 likely be arrested for?
     Do you honestly think that Mr. Knightly could be arrested for anything?

18. What is 6's secret?
    If you don't know, then you NEED to read A Tale of Two Cities.

19.  If 11 and 9 were racing to a destination, who would get there first?
     Captain Ralph Percy would definitely get there first.  (Imagine Mr. Bennet trying to race anywhere!)

20. If you had to walk home through a bad neighborhood late at night, who would you be more comfortable walking with, 7 or 8?
 Much as I like Mr. Jarndyce, I must say that I can think of almost no literary character I would rather have as my protector than Aslan.

   And that is that!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I love comments! Thrive on them, actually! Please just remember to keep them clean. I don't care if you make them long. The longer, the better, in fact! I really appreciate it when you take the time to tell me what you think.